Thursday 29 March 2012

Evaluation Q3.

What kind of institution might distribute your magazine and why?


Here is my response to the third coursework evaluation question I wrote an essay initially, and then transferred it on to Microsoft Powerpoint to make a presentation, I have then used the online document hoster 'Scribd' to host my powerpoint presentation, and therefore showcase my work on my blog.

What Kind of Institution Might Distribute Your Magazine and Why?




There are two main sources of revenue for magazines, they are the cover price of the magazine, and the averts within the magazine. Advertising is actually the largest source of revenue for magazines and brings in more money than just the cover price of the magazine. In the UK there are two regulators of magazines, The Press Complaints Commission (PCC) and the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA). They deal with consumer complaints and queries about article and features in different magazines, although in the UK magazines aren’t regulated very strictly because there is free press and theoretically magazines can publish whatever they want to. There are four main magazine publishing companies: -IPC Media, Bauer consumer media, Condé Nast, & National Magazines.

At first I believed that the most suitable institution to publish and distribute my magazine was IPC media, this is because of their previous and current success at distributing the music magazine NME which has a similar genre and target audience to my music magazine ‘Music Box.’ However after thinking my initial idea through, I decided that using IPC media to publish my magazine may not be the best idea due to the fact that because they already have to market and sell NME I need to go to a different company that will use new and different marketing strategies in order to try and attract my target audience and compete for success with other music magazines like NME.

I think that a possible suitable institution to distribute my magazine would be National Magazines. This is because at the moment they don’t currently distribute any music magazines and therefore will not be faced with the competition with other well known music magazines such as ‘NME’, ‘Q’ and ‘Kerrang!’ who are distributed by IPC Media and Bauer Media. 

Another reason that I would like National Magazines to distribute my music magazine is that they are very experienced at distributing popular and successful magazines, and although they have not previously and do not currently distribute any music magazine, I think that this will work as an advantage to ‘Music Box,’ because National magazines would want the first music magazine that they distribute to be very successful, and would then therefore work very hard to try and achieve this.

The marketing and advertising of my magazine will pay a massive part in whether or not it is successful and whether or not people will by. It is for that reason that I would need to have  an excellent marketing plan that will cover all areas of the spectrum. Being that today's current zeitgeist appears to be social media and social networking, digital marketing will play a huge part in the distribution of my magazine, I’d like to use advert banners on social networking websites such as facebook and MySpace, as well as creating a facebook fan page and a twitter feed for my magazine. Also because of the increasing popularity of smartphones such as iPhones and Blackberry’s I think that creating an app for the distribution of my magazine, that can be used to read new articles and find out up to date information about music artists, bands and singers. As and incentive to buy the first issue of the magazine, I would make it so that the app could be downloaded from the magazines website providing users had a pass code that could be found inside the first issue of the magazine.

I also thing that advertising on the street using billboards will be extremely important in the distribution of my magazine because they can be large and noticeable, and therefore have the chancel to be seen by a lot of potential readers of the magazine As well as this advertising o public transport, such as posters in tube stations on bus stops and on the side of double Decker buses will pay an important part in the distribution of my magazine. This is because my target audience are reasonably young and will often use public transport, and secondly especially with the tube, thousands of people use it every single day, so the posters will therefore be seen by a vast amount of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment